Built at the same time as the bridge that connects it to the city initiated in 123 A.D. by the wish of the Emperor Hadrian, the Castle was meant to host the mausoleum of the Imperial family, but a later intervention by the Emperor Aureliano transformed it into a fortified outpost as part of the construction of the walls and towers. When, in the year 1277. became the property of the Vatican, the papal apartments were added and a so-called "Passetto" was built to unite it with the Vatican walls. It was then used also as a prison for the political opponents during the Risorgimento period. In the halls of today's museum there may still be admired not only the collections of antique weaponry, but also the art of Giulio Romano and Luca Signorelli, the Lodge of Giulius II by Bramante, the frescoes by Perin del Vaga and by Beccafumi, the Adrianeo Hall and the Ornaments Hall with the Saint Girolamo by Lorenzo Lotto. The museum is also a site of temporary exhibitions.
Tuesday -Sunday 9.00 AM – 7.30 PM
CLOSED ON HOLIDAY
Full € 8,50*
* The full ticket price is subjest to variations depending on exhibitions
Reduced € 6,00*
EU citizens between 18 and 25 years of age
Permanent teachers of public schools
The reduced ticket price is subjest to variations depending on exhibitions
Free:EU citizens under 18 years of age and over 65 years of age, students and teachers of Architecture, Archeaology and History of Art, Conservation of Cultural Heritage and Educational Sciences, Fine Arts Academies, employees of Ministry of Cultural Heritage and Activities, ICOM Members, Tourist Guides and Interpreters, Journalists with Journalist Association Membership Card, school groups with chaperons, by booking only, disabled persons with assitant
The Saint Angel Castle Museum is part of the Roma Pass and of Roma &Più Pass circuit.
Lungotevere Castello, 50
0039 06 6819 111